Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

In An Instant...

blink... blink... blink...till there is no more...

In an instant you can loose someone you love. Someone you may never have thought about that often or someone we may never know exists. But their still gone. In an instant. I heard of a boy missing who is only 14 years old. The reason i would like to talk about this besides the obvious...someone's son is missing.... is because it reminded me of the big "things" we ignore in life and the small "things" we think are more important. I say this because I saw a status update around 10pm last night, read it, clicked open the link, looked at the picture of the missing boy...and then walked up to my bedroom, not reposting the missing boy post as the individual had requested, instead i went to bed, thinking about how the parents must feel. A few days ago their child walked out of their home and hasn't returned. We all hear stories about this on the news but we blink, blink, blink and then turn the channel to a less important show but one that entertains us. I came home from work today and felt the need to immediately check Facebook to see if anyone had found the boy. Nothing. I reposted the post. I could not sit any longer thinking about what i would want some of you to do for me if my kid was lost...I would ask any and everybody for help! I would post signs on my block, on your block and all across the whole Denver/EVERYWHERE area!!!! I WOULD POST ON FACEBOOK AND EXPECT---again, EXPECT all my Facebook friends to repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and repost and R E P O S T... UNTIL Someone heard something, from somewhere!!! I did not see as many individuals as I would EXPECT to SEE REPOST/SHARE the MISSING BOY POST to help this family. I MEAN...come on? I saw more likes and status updates about TV shows and favorite songs than I did about SOME"THING" AS IMPORTANT AS ONE OF "OUR" meaning YOU/US/ALL having a child lost out on the streets. I MEAN...EVERY moment counts, every second, every breath, every click that it might take to get any kind of information (about some"thing" that could ultimately result in death) PASSED AROUND, SHARED, "SCREAMING OUT" to the world - HELP COMMUNITY - HELP HUMANS OF THIS EARTH - help me, help me, help me! Am I making any sense? Ranting? Probably? But really. It is scary to think that if my child was lost out in this city... We, You, Them and They MIGHT not TAKE the TIME to REPOST/SHARE a MISSING GIRL POST!!! Wake up people. Please. It could be your kid, mother, brother, son, daughter or BEST FRIEND.

Later today I was chatting a friend on Facebook. He told me his best friend had lost his brother last week. It was a hit and run motorcycle accident. Tragic and obviously sad. He was a father to two beautiful children, someone I never knew and will never know but here I am telling the world about him. Just a reminder that life can be taken away in an instant. Every moment, every second, every breath you take, could be a breath that could save a life. Maybe even a 14 year old boy's life. Maybe you could have seen the driver in that instant that it counted. I'm simply reminding myself and encouraging you all out there to take the moment that may count and get involved outside of yourself. The tables may be turned someday...and in an instant... life can be taken away. Blink... blink... blink... till there is no more.

enter. resting.

disclaimer: i realize the sensitivity of the above subject and apologize in advance if i have offended anyone but i do believe in how i feel. my heart goes out to both families.

1 comment:

  1. There are...words...that pass between people who are outside of this. Who see this type of thing on the news, or read this type of thing in a blog and are slightly sympathetic but inevitably, entirely unattached. What I mean is, people always have an idea of how they would feel or what they would do or the things they would say in a situation like this - all the hypothetical hype - but you can never really know, ya know?? The channel changes, the moment is lost, and the brief notion of empathy fades along with so many Folgers commercials and game shows. It's the ones who are still there - that it's actually happening to...

    I remember the seconds, the minutes, the hours - that empty, anxious space of nothingness before we found my brother; when he was just "missing" before he was "dead". I wonder which is worse - the fucking WAITING and not knowing, or the finality; when everything is exhausted and everyone KNOWS. For sure. Or the "What to do now" - The carry-on...

    How stunning it is - A thing like this... That it can just...happen to someone and the world just moves on. The sun still rises and sets, children scrape their knees, windshields are replaced, houses are painted, dishes need washing, people have sex, bacon is eaten at breakfast tables, puppies are born, floors are mopped... That everything keeps right on going, just as it has before and the quotidian awfulness of this colossal, life-altering thing is just nothing; a sliver, a rock chip - a twerpy little pot hole in the grand scheme... As though nothing has happened at all...

    ReplyDelete