Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

the loneliness that consumes us...

i was at my grandmas yesterday, who returned home from a months stay in and out of the ER and Rehab. she has lived on her own for the last few years since my grandpa died, and has always been at peace about it...but not today. my mothers sister has been staying with her for the last few days but must now return home and in one week she will have the company of her other daughter. yesterday was her first night alone in over a month. you could see the sadness pouring from my grandmas eyes, an almost anxious feeling - hesitating to tell the truth of her sorrow.

jumping straight to the point, what is it about us that makes us fight back the urge to scream "I'M LONELY!!!"

how many of you sit in your house alone, thinking about your loneliness? hiding it by keeping yourself busy with house chores, work, or playing on the internet...i recently had a conversation with a good friend of mine and we had the best laugh as we admitted each of our facebook adventures or rather -obsession? addiction? we practically finished each others sentences with things like, "yes, i refresh the page like every four minutes!" and "flipping back and forth from my page to the status home page! just to see if maybe, just maybe something changed!" laughing - laughing - laughing! we continued on with more embarrassing facts about the extreme measures we take just to reach out to someone, anyone!! HELP!!! I'M LONELY!!!!

i know you are reading this thinking i am crazy right? admit it. I did. I know you are in your pj’s cracked out on facebook, don’t lie! We can’t all be so different when it comes to the basic needs of being human. we are, after all, ALL human.

let's also keep in mind that just because i, we, you, her and him are on facebook constantly, seeking any type of midnight human interaction, does not mean that we are not living our lives. everyone works, we all are working on our dreams, and we all have a ridiculous amount of obligations! But, lets take a moment to shout it out, seek out and take the extra step to reach out to someone who really may be more lonely than you and say HELLO! How many studies have proven that just being friendly in general could save someone's life?

call your grandma, mom, dad, friend, sister, acquaintance, lover, anyone and have a conversation. or even an email nowadays!

enter.resting.

4 comments:

  1. I added reactions at the bottom of the posts for truth, tell me if it really was boring, funny, or interesting! dont be afraid to hurt my feelings, really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enter.resting.

    I like. Too often we forget what human interaction can do. We have become such a consumed society by the internet, that we have forgotten the idea of "connecting". I don't want us to miss the story because we were so busy trying to catch the next story or 'refresh'. I think we fight our loneliness, instead of embracing it and screaming it, because who wants to sound lonely? But, what is truly wrong with just "being" and admitting, "I'm lonely!"
    Does the pocket full of pride keep us 'refreshing' the page?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, it's kinda sad how social networking has made us even more lonelier. In fact, aside from text messaging, some of us are so dependent on it that it's the only "interaction" with human life we get per Diem. Heck you can check yourself out at the grocery stores these days, and you might talk to someone if you go thru the drive-thru at some fast food restaurant. Some of us have made ourselves lonely, truthfully (I'm not as lonely as I'm referring to - I have siblings who live with me), recluses with the internet and mobile services as our only connection to the world.

    Sad, but true - forgive my party-pooper comment :) Great dose of reality, because I also admit to some of these truths about FB. I don't even wait 4 minutes - I expect someone's status to have updated every time I click back to the home page! Lol... with all the friends I have, somebody's gotta be doin' somethin! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lite...funny! I too, expect it to be updated immediately! And no party-pooper comment here! I am lucky enough to have just what i need...mother and brothers who live just a skip away! I didn't get as deep as the grocery store thought...thats a good point. We do check ourselves out and barely talk to probably over 100 people we see walking throughout the store! Even when we are working there are times that we spend most of it alone inside our heads. I forget sometimes... to make quality adult time - face to face - I feel like it used to be more frequent during my younger years? Is this a transition into real adulthood?!

    ReplyDelete